Meet the CEESEN Partners: Alba Local Energy Agency (ALEA), Romania
Alba Local Energy Agency – ALEA – established in 2008 with the support of Intelligent Energy Europe programme – is a nongovernmental and nonprofit organization that contributes to the sustainable development of Alba County – Romania by improving the current situation in energy efficiency, energy management and energy use from renewable sources.
Involvement in more than 15 European projects under different programmes; these projects cover areas such as sustainable energy in buildings (nZEB), efficient public lighting, rational use of energy in homes, developing the capacity of local communities to use renewable energy sources, achieving a regional energy observatory, support for public authorities to develop and implement sustainable energy and climate action plans, green public procurement, sustainable urban mobility and promoting the use of electric vehicles.
ALEA aims on one hand to become a competent body in promoting sustainable development in Alba County by reinforcing the current energy status, and on the other hand to be a decisive factor in changing the mentality of people as energy consumers. ALEA is also member of FEDARENE and founder member of CEESEN network.
Main objectives of the agency:
- Formulation of energy policy at county level.
- Support given to local authorities in the development and implementation of local action plans for sustainable energy and climate.
- Promoting energy efficiency projects in economic entities, buildings belonging to public institutions, housing, public utility systems.
- Promote the implementation of systems for producing energy from renewable sources in Alba County.
- Raising awareness and educating intelligent energy both citizens and decision-makers from local government and the private sector.
Since its establishment, ALEA recommend itself by:
- Contribution to the realisation of The Energy Masterplan of Alba County – the first county-level in Romania having issued the environmental permit;
- Supporting more than 30 Romanian municipalities that signed the Convention of Mayors – the European large-scale initiative – in the creation and implementation of their Sustainable Energy (and Climate) Action Plans;
Alba Local Energy Agency Alba is a recognized supporter by the European Commission regarding „Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy” initiative, assuming its promotion at national level and provide full technical support to signatory municipalities; This support covers the initial analysis of energy consumption and the monitoring (inventory of energy consumption and CO2 emissions) identifying local resources of renewable energy, implementation of the Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans – SECAPs, reaching towards ensuring complete management of these processes.
Since this year, ALEA became country expert and national hub for EUCF initiative.